26. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by.” – Robert Frost

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

School



What I Love
-Gym class-every Thursday for half an hour after school.
-Everyone is friendly
-No cliques
-No assigned seating
-If I don’t understnad the material like in Chemistry, the teachers don’t mind if I read in portuguese to improve my vocabulary.
-Teachers treat their students as friends.
-I have a uniform shirt and can only wear jeans or the school gym shorts (spandex).   I don’t spend time thinking about what I will wear to school-not like I did much of that anyway…
-My school has a cinema room.
-They have fish, birds and tiny monkeys on school grounds.


What I’m Not Accustomed To Yet
-If a teacher is absent, there’s never a substitute.
-Students remain in the same classroom the whole day, the teachers change.
-It’s very hot for me, but normal for the other students, so they don’t turn the fans or air conditioning on.  By the way, each room has a small air conditioner.
-Classrooms are equipped with desk chairs, not a separate chair and desk.
-Lack of technology-nothing but whiteboards.
-Absolutely no decoration in the classroom.
-10-20 minutes of the 50 minute period is generally wasted by the teacher writing out notes to be copied on the whiteboard.
-EVERYBODY writes in cursive, whereas the USA has fallen out of the trend of even teaching it nowadays.
-All of teaching is done lecture style.
-Teachers will talk to their students about their personal lives at times.
-There is no such thing as plain notebook paper here, everything has designs.  Though it is nice to look at, I don’t believe it’s worth the added price.
-In general the people in Brazil are very extroverted, so when talking in class it often sounds like a shouting match.

Five of my classmates and me at the school science fair.
 (It was quite early in my exchange, so I didn't have a group to work with.)




2 comments:

  1. Sounds very close to college style in some of the things you aren't accustomed to section.

    ReplyDelete