26. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by.” – Robert Frost

Friday, May 17, 2013

Grafiti, Beach, and Mingau

One thing that I’ve found very interesting this year is that in the Portuguese language, there they make a distinguished difference between graffiti and street art.  In English we tend to refer to everything as graffiti, even though it has a negative connotation.  By establishing two different names it brings a beauty to the street art.  In Portuguese you say graffiti when it’s like art and pichacao when it's letters, or just a gang symbol sprayed all over the place. 

Personally I enjoy street art a lot.  In my opinion it brings a new life to the city through its brightness and color.  I’d much rather look at a design than a simple concrete grey wall!

I’ve been trying to take advantage of the sun here in Brasil.  Being in the sun seems to put a bit of energy in me.  But taking the bus everyday an hour to the beach was getting old.  But then I discovered that there’s a beach relatively near my school.  It’s just that the waters are dirty, so it’s advised not to swim in the waters.  It also has a park nearby which has all these paths for walking, running and bike riding.  It looks so peaceful!

One of the things I’ve missed most about home is my pets.  All my host families have dogs, and while I like dogs I definitely have a preference for cats!  So I love to go to my host aunt’s house and play with her kitten that has grown up so much this year!  






My favorite piece of street art that I see everyday on the way to school.

It doesn't hurt to die if it's for love.





I don't know how to talk but I know how to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment